macaw is a dream, a new lifestyle and venture for us. macaw may even be a charity. a place where you could stay in a yurt, an army tent, your own tent, or even a hut made from recycled pallets. double beds and wood-burning stoves. fresh food, harvested from the gardens. chickens roaming amongst the solar panels. a wind turbine beheading bats, like a mechanical Ozzy Osbourne. macaw will nestle in a field, in Cornwall, near the coast, near a town…
…macaw is the martial and creative arts workshop.
grow younger through learning
having worked as a software developer since 1997, I have grown old, fat, grey and slow, sitting at my desk, telling myself that the work I do is valuable, worthwhile. i’ve been kidding myself, mainly. the incidentals are the worthwhile part, the work itself has been of dubious moral value, ranging from the project management of oil rig maintenance to insurance sales.
so what are these worthwhile incidentals? learning, teaching, invention and creation, delivery, the lovely people I have met, friendships.
its time for a change, to engage with fresh passion, like I did at the start of my software development career. I don’t need to grow rich, I own everything that I want right now, I want to be happy, healthy and fit, and to indulge myself in the things I love: learning, teaching, eating, growing, martial arts, music, being outdoors. for the last couple of years, my earlier passion has made the final death-knell transition to becoming work. i want to die at play, not at work. as a midlife crisis goes, macaw definitely beats a shiny red sports car.
wot’s uh, the deal?
- dedicated martial arts camps, for individuals, groups, corporate – single discipline, multi-discipline, guest instructors
- dojang facilities for local clubs – there are at least 4 in Bude
- dojang and camp facilities for other organisations, for rent, host your own!
- a peaceful place for individuals to train
- fitness bootcamps
- music lessons – guitar, drums, bass
- guided student jam-along. there are many young music students in Bude, but often they are isolated and have never played with other musicians
- rehearsal facilities
- demo quality recording and production
- home studio and production course
- precious metal clay
- earrings, necklaces, bracelets
- driftwood crafts
- artist retreat
- first aid training
- website studio
- software development training
All of the above could be offered to individuals, private groups, corporate groups, and other teachers requiring a venue. macaw will be a beautiful retreat offering a range of activities. we have given ourselves a target of May 2016 to implement this fledgling business, and change our lives completely. in the next article, I will list the expertise and help we require to get ourselves off the ground. please help us by offering suggestions, advice and help – be a teacher, be an instructor, be a customer, be a friend. Join in.
Jase & Adele